The Centre for the Study and Research of the History of Education and the Teaching Profession ( KEMEIEDE ) is under the umbrella of the School of Education, Department of Primary Education, University of Crete and the Decentralised Administration of Crete, Hellenic Republic.
It was founded to serve the teaching and research needs in the field of research and the study of the history of education and the teaching profession and for their efficient management in education.
Aims and Purposes
The Centre aims to research and study the school of the past and the history of the teaching profession during the earlier period of the Greek history, the scientific analysis, the recording and the preservation of existing evidence, their connection with the current Greek and international curriculum and school life and their visibility as an important parameter for the historical school of today and of modern education, in general. In the Center for the Study and Research of the History of Education and the Teaching Profession ( KE.M.E.I.E.D.E), the files of the Didaskalio, the former training institution, and the then Pedagogical Academy located in Heraklion Crete as well as the historical Library ( A.V.AK.I. ) for the training and the education of teachers and female teachers have been collected, preserved and maintained . Also, there is an exhibition of with the teaching materials and of the documents that have survived and provided to the Department of Education from schools throughout the Region of Crete and Heraklion as well as from the Teacher Training Institutions. Specifically, the Center for the Study and Research of the History of Education and the Teaching Profession ( KE.M.E.I.E.D.E ) seeks to:
- collect, preserve, classify, digitize and study the educational materials on the history of education and teacher training from the 19th century until today in Greece and elsewhere,
- maintain this material and exhibited objects, the teaching aids and the textbooks, which can regenerate on the grounds that balances are kept for the history of education and the development of teacher education and the teachers,
- the accessibility of all those concerned with/ the instructors / - the students / the scholars interested in the study of this archival and the contemporary educational material in any form,
- the scientific publications of this rare educational material for research purposes,
- the interconnection of the local community with the University by organizing events and conferences , always related to the subject matter of the Center for the Study and Research of the History of Education and the Teaching Profession ( KE.M.E.I.E.D.E ) and the training and educational programs in collaboration with scientific and social agencies in Greece and Europe.
The Centre's Activities
The activities carried out by the Centre are:
- The study and the research at an undergraduate and postgraduate level of the history of education and the teaching profession both in Greece and internationally, with the preparation of seminars, master theses and dissertations,
- Sketching out and reforming of the educational past and the history of the teaching profession, its correlation with the present and the established connection and communication between elder teachers and the younger,
- The creation and use of printed, photographic, audio or other electronic material of particular value, associated with both the history of education and in particular to the teaching profession,
- The training of the future teachers and of every student /(students, graduates, parents , etc. ) on the educational heritage and their initiation in the history of the teaching profession in order to gain a more active role and to realize even more the educational debt, the strengthening and the enhancement of innovative educational activities,
- The training of the graduates of the Department of Education, and generally speaking the School of Education or any educational Departments of the University so that their program include the study of educational history and the archival material in the educational museum of education,
- Students’ awareness (undergraduate and graduate) as well as of the in-service teachers and the students about their school culture in order to acquire proper attitudes,
- The connection of the Center for the Study and Research of the History of Education and the Teaching Profession (KE.M.E.I.E.D.E) with the schools of Crete and with schools or educational centers abroad, in an effort to support educational activities, particularly in the history of education and about the evolution of the teaching profession in general,
- Support of educational and training programs in collaboration with other universities and relevant training workshops and education museums around the country and abroad, cultural foundations and equally competent
Activities and Resources
- Ongoing organization / Interactive School Exhibition of museum material ( D.E.S.M.Y ),aiming at school visits.
- specialized study of archival material of the old and the former Teacher Training Academy of Heraklion
- electronic recording of printed materials (books , encyclopedias , dictionaries , etc. ) through the National Library of Automation Documentation Centre ( ABEKT ) to support the users (students , students, researchers and general public) of the historical library of old and of the former Teaching Pedagogical Academy, for the use of teachers and their students ( A.V.AK.I. ) to be searchable through the catalog of this thematic Library.
- organization of scientific meetings ( seminars , conferences or symposiums ) on both the history and the future of education and the history and future of the profession of the teachers.
- establishment of scientific groups with teachers , students and researchers for the historical educational research in the schools of Crete and the rest of Greece to record, save and preserve historic educational material.
- organized teacher, professors, in service and practicing teachers initiatives that are related to the activities of the Laboratory and the presentation to other relevant workshops , institutes , centers , museums or schools of education within and outside Greece.
- implementation of innovative educational programs relating to persons , events , activities and educational systems of the history of education both in Greece and internationally.
- printed publications, books, electronic equipment, albums on the history of education and the history of the teaching profession.
- research and experimental presentation of the historical methods and the teaching aids and comparisons with the undergraduate and graduate programs of the Department of Primary Education , Faculty of Education or of other related departments, etc.
- events that are of value to teachers , researchers and educators with significant scientific or educational and pedagogical work as it is evaluated in the context of the history of education.
Obtaining historical consciousness and the culture of historical research and creative use of our educational past with the development and promotion of best practices in education to help enhance and revitalize both the educational process and the historical role of modern education , the promotion of respect of the modern rules of school life , in solidarity and in cooperation with teachers, students , pupils and their teachers, with respect for the school property and cultural heritage as well as the school environment , while in developing attitudes for daily care upgrading.